Monday, December 28, 2009

My foray into Patchwork...

I've made one patchwork quilt in my life and the experience was, well, let's just say 'unforgettable' and not in a good sense of the word!  It was a lot of work and there were quite a few hiccups along the way - I fogot to add seam allowances to some pieces which threw the whole thing out, Sam the handsome (but manic) labradoodle chewed holes in several places (which led to a whole lot of extra patching and a bit of freeform applique (lol!)), and all in all there just seemed to be lots of going back and fixing up. Not really my cup of tea.

So it might come as a surprise to hear that I've stepped up to the mark for another quilt! The idea of making a quilt for my 15 year old daughter has been floating around my mind for a while now, something she could keep as she travels, goes to Uni, moves into her first flat, etc etc, and just recently I saw a picture of a quilt in a housie magazine that I thought she'd like: red, white and blue with a bit of denim thrown in. Unfortunately there were a couple of practical issues that raised their head: there wasn't a pattern, just a picture; I couldn't find a pattern similar to it; and the picture shows the quilt draped over a chair, artistic but not the easiest way to try to copy the pattern!
So I winged it. I started by drafting the finished shapes, starting with a 6" square (because my quilting ruler is 6 1/2" - I like to make things easy!) and then drafting various 3, 6 and 9" rectangles and squares. I added seam allowances then played with making up repeat sequences to form long row blocks the width of a single bed. On the planner (left) I coloured in the rows to distinguish them from each other. It all makes sense in theory but as we all know, 'there's many a slip 'tween the cup and the lip'!

No comments:

Post a Comment